New Landing How can we help? Themeforest Theme Support Ability Creating a child theme

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Posted in: Ability
    feezy9

Hi,

I’m trying to create a child theme using Ability so that my style changes with persist through upgrades of the parent theme. When I attempted this using the WP recommended instructions and activated the child theme, I kept getting this error:

Warning: require_once([root directories]/wp-content/themes/ability-child-theme/admin/admin-interface.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in [root directories]/wp-content/themes/ability/functions.php on line 70

I ended up having to manually revert to the parent theme by changing the “template” wp_option in the database. I was successfully able to create and activate the child theme by copying Ability’s “admin” folder to the child theme’s folder. The problem now is the navigation bar isn’t rendering.

Kyle – SUPPORT

Hi

You don’t actually need these files (see screenshot) You can delete those and it should work fine

– Kyle

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    feezy9

I deleted them and not I get this error:

Warning: require_once([root directories]/wp-content/themes/ability-child-theme/admin/admin-interface.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in [root directories]/wp-content/themes/ability/functions.php on line 70

Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required '[root directories]/wp-content/themes/ability-child-theme/admin/admin-interface.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/share/pear54') in [root directories]/wp-content/themes/ability/functions.php on line 70
    Rui Guerreiro – SUPPORT
    Keymaster

If the goal it’s to create a child theme only to overwrite the css modifications, inside the Child theme you will only need the style.css file with a include of the css of the parent theme.

Not sure if you delete them from the parent theme.

Can you check? Upload again the theme files to be sure.

-Rui

feezy9

Hi Rui,

I’m 100% positive I remove those files from the child theme. I tried your solution initially and that’s how I got the error in my first post. That’s what led me to copy the admin folder since it had the files referenced in the error. For the most part it this solution worked except the nav bar didn’t render.

Have you guys been able to recreate this error by attempting to create a child theme? Is it unique to my theme?

Mohammad – SUPPORT

Hi,
    Please delete all files of child theme except style.css and rtl.css to work perfect with child theme.
    Thanks 🙂
    With Best Regards
    Mohammad

feezy9

Mohammad, can you confirm you’ve successfully been able to create a child theme like this? Do you have any input on the error I mentioned in previous posts?

Mohammad – SUPPORT

Hi,
    I have created child themes like this many times with out any error.
    Thanks
    Mohammad

feezy9

I see. The important thing to understand is I’ve already tried this and I still got any error. Do you have any idea why based on my the errors I’ve posted?

Mohammad – SUPPORT

Hi,
    Please provide me FTP login detail to check and resolve your issue .
    Thanks
    Mohammad

feezy9

Sure, what’s your email? Btw, WordPress admin login information was provided with my initial post.

Mohammad – SUPPORT
    This reply has been marked as private.
    feezy9

Ok are you on Skype?

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

Hi there,

Think this may be down to an incorrect line in the parent theme functions.php, please can you try changing line 44 from:

define('ADMIN_PATH', STYLESHEETPATH . '/admin/');

to

define('ADMIN_PATH', TEMPLATEPATH . '/admin/');

That should sort it!

– Ed

feezy9

Thanks! It worked! Hope this is addressed in the next release.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in and have valid license to reply to this topic.

License required for one of the following items
Login and Registration Log in · Register